Date

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 10/4/18 #cal-notice

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <noreply@...>

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 4 October 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 10/4/18 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...>

Reminder:
ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 4 October 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

View Event.

[...]

Re: [odpi-pmc-datagovernance] Feedback on Egeria documentation

Raj Singh

Hi Mandy. My goal is certainly to grok enough of the tech to be able to help out with documentation and sample implementations. Hence my efforts to dig in. I worked for a standards organization and collaborated with other SDOs for a decade, and I know that comes with some biases and hardened thinking about architecture and design, so I'm trying to be cognizant of that but bear with me if old habits die hard. For example, I worked on the OGC Catalog Service for the Web (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalog_Service_for_the_Web) and I know some of my biases come from my time on that standard. I also realize I'm trying to mentally fit this work into experiences with CKAN (https://ckan.org/) and Dublin Core metadata initiative (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/) and data.gov. I mention all these to say that if the goals of Egeria are similar, it's probably worth comparing/contrasting to these early on in the docs if we think the audiences overlap.

On the Atlas requirement issue, I read somewhere that Egeria had been incubated as part of the Atlas project (maybe your article "The Case for Open Metadata"?). I didn't get the impression that Atlas was the only target, but I just figured since it had been closely tied to that software it would be a good starting point. I don't see any references to Atlas in the Egeria docs so we're good there.

You say Egeria is not a data catalog, which I understand from the "What is Project Egeria?" page, but since it says it can "allow all metadata repositories to share and exchange metadata", in my mind I think, "OK so if I don't have an existing repository I could just implement Egeria and avoid the intermediary step". Is this correct or not? If not then I'd like to see that stated right away. If so, then I'd like to be able to build something pretty quickly. For example, I'm a heavy PostgreSQL user and my programming languages of choice are Python and Javascript/Node.js. I'd love to be able to build a sample implementation for PostgreSQL as my contribution to the work. Is that possible at this point?

-----
Raj Singh, PhD
Developer Advocate, IBM
rrsingh@... | 617-642-9372

From:        "Ernie Ostic" <eostic@...>
To:        odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...
Date:        03/10/2018 15:44
Sent by:        odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...

Hi Raj.

Thanks. Good input. I know that there have been discussions about adding JSON payloads that more clearly outline the various classes and types -- that will be helpful, for sure.

In the meantime, there have been further efforts for external messaging and understanding that you may find useful, starting with the first of several demo produced recordings and supportive pages that outline many of the benefits and then go into a deeper dive to illustrate how the ODPi/Egeria is sharing metadata......

https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/open-metadata-sharing-with-odpi-egeria-and-igc/

Ernie

Ernie Ostic

IBM Analytics
IBM InfoSphere Information Server

"Raj Singh" ---10/03/2018 10:34:07 AM---Hello all. I wanted to share my experience trying to get involved in this project. I think there are

From: "Raj Singh" <rrsingh@...>
To: odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...
Date: 10/03/2018 10:34 AM
Sent by: odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...

Hello all. I wanted to share my experience trying to get involved in this project. I think there are some useful lessons here on prioritizing work and designing content if the goal is to attract people from outside the Apache Atlas developer community.

The TL;DR is that as a outsider looking in it seems like a very opaque project with no easy way to get started unless you’re already an Apache Atlas and Hadoop user. I recommend the following on-boarding approach used in developer relations:

1. if I have 5 minutes, I want to learn what it is and why it’s worth time to learn (i.e. how will my work be improved, what pain points are addressed?)

2. OK, that 5 minutes convinced me to dig deeper. Now in 30 minutes teach me what some metadata will look like in this system -- data set, data catalog, collaboration -- give me some examples and some business cases

3. Great. Now I want to play around a bit as a developer. I have some data on disk (or in CouchDB or Postgresql on my laptop). I want to build a metadata server conformant to Egeria specs. Show me how to do this in 2 hours.

For background, here’s my exploratory “journey” trying to familiarize myself with the work:

1. go to https://atlas.apache.org/ and try to install it.
2. found https://atlas.apache.org/InstallationSteps.html
3. read that I have to build from source — no Mac install package — put it off for a time when I have hours to devote to that (but consider not doing it because I have no other need for Hadoop)
4. go to https://github.com/odpi/egeria
5. try to find a description of a data catalog and a single data set.
6. click on “Where are the open metadata specifications?”
7. click on “Standards for OMAS Implementations” and see that these are rough notes — I’m looking for something more cleanly packaged, so…
8. back to home: https://github.com/odpi/egeria
9. click on “How do I run Egeria?”
10. see a “server chassis for Spring” — I know a little Java but not Spring so this is a dead end for me, back to home…
11. click on “Where is the Design Documentation”
12. Read down to Technical Components and click on “Common types for open metadata” (hoping to see some JSON or XML next)
13. Look at the graphic (yay, a graphic!) but confused that the numbers are seemingly out of order
14. Click on “Area 2 Data Assets”
15. Click on “0211 Data Sets” and see that this is actually the description of a VirtualDataSet
16. Sad because I still don’t see any code or JSON or examples (UML is ok for me but not for most devs)
17. Click on the “Data Set” link
18. I’m now at “0010 Base Model” and have gotten no less abstract
19. Give up and work on something else

-----
Raj Singh, PhD
www.rajsingh.org
Developer Advocate, IBM
Center for Open-Source Data and AI Technologies (CODAIT)
rrsingh@... | 617-642-9372

Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: [odpi-pmc-datagovernance] Feedback on Egeria documentation

Mandy Chessell

From:        "Ernie Ostic" <eostic@...>
To:        odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...
Date:        03/10/2018 15:44
[...]

From:
"Raj Singh" <rrsingh@...>
To:
odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...
Date:
10/03/2018 10:34 AM
Subject:
[odpi-pmc-datagovernance] Feedback on Egeria documentation
Sent by:
odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...

From: "Raj Singh" <rrsingh@...>
To: odpi-pmc-datagovernance@...
Date: 10/03/2018 10:34 AM
[...]

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call) - Thu, 9/27/18 #cal-notice

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <noreply@...>

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 27 September 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call) - Thu, 9/27/18 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

[...]

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 9/20/18 #cal-notice

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <noreply@...>

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 20 September 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 9/20/18 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

[...]

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call) - Thu, 9/13/18 #cal-notice

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <noreply@...>

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 13 September 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Data Governance Best Practices (every other week call) - Thu, 9/13/18 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

[...]

Posting the follow-ups from the wonderful Egeria workshop in Vancouver on Aug 28 2018

Susan Malaika

Project Egeria follow-ups from F2F on Aug 28, 2018 in Vancouver:

  • in 1Q2018 nurture clients / consumers to try out tools enabled to Egeria
  • Agreed that Egeria is producing a representation of data models which may be of interest beyond Egeria itself

Actions include:

In Sep at next ODPi TSC meeting : John & team to ask Cupid about data scientist metadata (Egeria use case)
In Sep :
  • Ferd to continue working with Microsoft & SAS
  • Jeff to connect with GE & NI
  • Jeff to schedule blueprint talk on Egeria
  • Ernie to continue enabling IGC 3rd parties
  • Jason to review using JanusGraph as storage for Egeria - aligned with
    • metamodel or
    • actual types
  • Susan to connect Mandy with bias tool team & Mongo & Turck
  • Susan to compile list of industry consortia who publish data models
By early Oct : Ernie to produce the following videos
  • 2 demos
  • compliance suite tests
  • IGC to IGC communication
By early Oct : Maryna to produce a virtual data connect Egeria demo video
In Oct : Mae to conduct "Egeria in Practice Webinar"
In Nov : John to produce Egeria white paper

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 9/6/18 #cal-notice

odpi-pmc-datagovernance@lists.odpi.org Calendar <noreply@...>

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call)

When:
Thursday, 6 September 2018
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/523629111

Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699006833,,523629111# or +16465588656,,523629111#

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 523 629 111

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=Ef0Q2GNBIiHbZfjSvMvTms9WBxAGRxXl

ODPi Data Governance PMC - Open Metadata and Governance Compliance (every other week call) - Thu, 9/6/18 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

[...]

901 - 920 of 1154