[DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.5.0 release
Oleksandr Porunov <alexand...@...>
0.2.3 and 0.3.2 are released and 0.4.0 is going to be released soon. I would like to add a new feature "Add support for ElasticSearch 7". The feature makes a small breaking changes, that is why it should be targeted to a new "feature branch". We discussed earlier that the community cannot support more than 2 branches right now.
I see a small drawback in dropping support for "0.3" branch because all users who are running ES < 5 or Solr < 7 or Cassandra < 2.1 will not be supported anymore. But on the other side, we cannot support deprecated backends for too long.
That is why, I would suggest creating "0.4" branch, making "master" branch as "0.5.0-SNAPSHOT" and support "0.3" branch till 0.3.3 release. After that we will support only "0.4" and "master" branches.
In "0.5" release I would like to propose include:
- Adding support for ES 7 (#1648)
- Dropping mapping types for either ES 7 or ES 8 (need to discuss). We are required to drop support for mapping types in ES 8 but ES 7 mapping types are optional (can be dropped or saved).
- Drop support for ES < 6 because ES 5.x is EOL
- Do not retrieve unnecessary fields during index search (#1647 and #1652)
- Update TinkerPop to 3.4.2
- Add support for raw lucene date range queries (#1615)
- Extract JanusGraph Gremlin driver requirements (#1521)
What the community members think about it? Are you OK with making "0.3.3" the last release in "0.3" branch and moving current master to "0.4" branch after the "0.4.0" release?
I am proposing to make releases faster with smaller changes instead of waiting for a lot of changes to arrive. I don't see anything bad if we release one release every 1 or 2 months with several small changes.