Re: Improve development workflow

Oleksandr Porunov <alexand...@...>

> It will force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12.
> It is a simple task but to achieve advantage, we have to use some of the new language features.

I don't imagine users easily switch to Java 12. Switching from Java 8 to Java 12 in big projects is very hard.
Imagine you are using Spring Boot framework version 1.5 in your application which don't support Java version > then 8. Imagine the project uses JanusGraph libs directly (which requires Java 12). To use Spring Boot with version which supports Java 12 we should upgrade Spring Boot to version 2.2. But the problem is that this version isn't released right now. So, if we require Java 12 to use JanusGraph it means that JanusGraph libraries will be incompatible with Spring Boot libraries.
It is just an example but there are a lot of libs which don't support Java 12 yet.

Maybe I am missing something but using Java 12 for JanusGraph may throw away many users because a lot of them are using some libs which are incompatible with Java 12.

Of course we should upgrade Java version sooner or later but I think we should investigate it before upgrading.

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 11:18:21 AM UTC+3, Jan Jansen wrote:
Hi Oleksandr,

> I didn't use this bot. Could this cause some problems? Like breaking changes or something like that?

The bot will create a PR on our repo. So, we can review the changes and merge it by our own.

> Will it force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12? It isn't that simple task and would be a big breaking change I think.

It will force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12.
It is a simple task but to achieve advantage, we have to use some of the new language features.

Greetings,
Jan

Join janusgraph-dev@lists.lfaidata.foundation to automatically receive all group messages.