Re: [DISCUSS] 1.0.0 / 0.6.3 Releases


Boxuan Li
 

That sounds really awesome! Just one thought:

Shall we do a RC release (e.g. 1.0.0 RC1) before the official 1.0.0 release? There are quite some breaking and major changes in 1.0.0, and I feel we should be extra cautious about that.

Cheers,
Boxuan

From: janusgraph-dev@... <janusgraph-dev@...> on behalf of Florian Hockmann via lists.lfaidata.foundation <fh=florian-hockmann.de@...>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2022 10:42:31 AM
To: janusgraph-dev@... <janusgraph-dev@...>
Subject: [janusgraph-dev] [DISCUSS] 1.0.0 / 0.6.3 Releases
 

Hi,

 

I would like to start a discussion about our next release(s) as there were multiple requests from the community already.

Our last release (0.6.2) was also already half a year ago (May 31) and our latest major release (0.6.0) was over a year ago in September 2021.

 

We also already have quite some features ready for 1.0.0 (and I probably even forgot some other important ones):

 

I think these are really substantial improvements that we should release to our users and therefore at least not wait much longer for a major release. Users have also repeatedly asked for a release that contains some of these improvements, especially the security related dependency updates.

 

So, are there any important issues / PRs that you definitely want to see included in the next release? Otherwise, I suggest that we set a fixed deadline of when we start the release process and everything that is not merged until then will be moved to a follow-up release.

 

Are there any issues that should definitely be included in a 1.0.0 release but will not be finished in the next few weeks? I think in that case we could also decide to release 0.7.0 first from master so we don’t block the release just because we have decided that the next major release should be 1.0.0.

But I think it should also not be a problem to postpone any open issues to a later major release. As Oleksandr mentioned in the thread where we decided that 1.0.0 should be next major release, 1.0.0 only indicates that JanusGraph is ready for production usage [1]. It doesn’t mean that there won’t be breaking changes afterwards (as there definitely will be).

 

Together with 1.0.0 (or 0.7.0 if we decide on that as the next major release), we can also release 0.6.3 from the 0.6 branch. If you see any issues that should be included in that release, then that would of course also be good to know.

 

Does anyone want to volunteer being the release manager for these two releases? Otherwise, I can also do it.

 

Regards,

Florian

 

[1]: https://lists.lfaidata.foundation/g/janusgraph-dev/message/1517

Join janusgraph-dev@lists.lfaidata.foundation to automatically receive all group messages.