Date

JanusGraph Meetup #4 Recording

Ted Wilmes

Hello,
Thanks to all who attended the meetup yesterday. If you weren't able to make it, you can find the recording at: https://www.experoinc.com/online-seminar/janusgraph-community-meetup.

Thanks to our presenters: Marc, Saurabh, and Bruno, we had a really good set of material presented.

Thanks,
Ted

Re: [Meetup] JanusGraph Meetup May 18 covering JG OLAP approaches

Ted Wilmes

Hi Boxuan,
Yes, definitely. I'll post this under presentations on janusgraph.org. Also, I hadn't posted meetup 3 on there yet and finally tracked the link down, so that will also be up there shortly.

Thanks,
Ted

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM Boxuan Li <liboxuan@...> wrote:
Hi Ted,

Thanks for organizing this! Do you have plans to record & release the video after the meetup? 10:30 ET is a bit late for some regions in APAC, so it would be great if there would be a video record.

Cheers,
Boxuan

On May 14, 2021, at 11:37 PM, Ted Wilmes <twilmes@...> wrote:

Hello,
We will be hosting a community meetup next week on Tuesday, May 18th at 9:30 central/10:30 eastern. We have a great set of speakers who will be discussing all things JanusGraph OLAP:

* Hadoop Marc who has helped many of us on the mailing list and in JG issues
* Saurabh Verma, principal engineer at Zeotap
* Bruno Berriso, engineer at Expero

If you're interested in signing up, here's the link: https://www.experoinc.com/get/janusgraph-user-group.

Thanks,
Ted

Re: [Meetup] JanusGraph Meetup May 18 covering JG OLAP approaches

Boxuan Li

[...]

Re: Potential complexities of making secondary persistence atomic

rngcntr

Hi Florian!

That definitely sounds like a promising idea. You are most likely not the only one requiring consistency between storage and index data. In general, my advice is to start with a test case which explicitly addresses the situation where the primary persistence succeeds and the secondary persistence fails. From there, see what it needs to let the transaction fail. Once you have a solution for that, you can start the discussion by opening a PR. We will then see which issues could arise and try to solve them. The first prototype does not have to be perfect, a proof of concept is fine!

Best Regards,
Florian

Potential complexities of making secondary persistence atomic

florian.caesar <florian.caesar@...>

Hi!

Currently JanusGraph's philosophy is to fail transactions only if the primary persistence fails and allow failures in secondary persistence.
According to https://docs.janusgraph.org/advanced-topics/recovery/#transaction-failure, the recommended approach for dealing with secondary persistence failures is maintaining and continuously recovering from a write-ahead log.
This results in temporary inconsistencies between primary storage and mixed indices.

For my use case, potential inconsistencies are not acceptable. Currently there is no way of making JanusGraph fail a transaction if either primary or secondary persistence fails. Looking at the source code (starting at https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/blob/a73d39d8a071f8d5340aede4917653629ab595cb/janusgraph-core/src/main/java/org/janusgraph/graphdb/database/StandardJanusGraph.java#L743), it should be possible to re-order persistence to commit both secondary and primary storage at the same time. Naturally there is some cleanup to do in case of transaction failure, but it seems manageable to me.

What are the potential complexities of pursuing this? How does this mess with JanusGraph's logic & assumptions in other places?

If it seems fine, it should be an easy change. If nobody else wants to take it, I would also be happy to start a PR for this feature myself at some point.

Thanks for your input and time
Florian

Re: [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Oleksandr Porunov

As Tinkerpop is very close for a release, I'm proposing to delay JanusGraph 0.6.0 release, so that we could ship 0.6.0 release of JanusGraph with either 3.4.11 or 3.5.0 version of Tinkerpop. I assume, if everything goes well, we should be able to release JanusGraph 0.6.0 version in the middle of May.

Re: [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Jansen, Jan

Re: [Performance Optimization] Optimization around the `system_properties` table interaction

Boxuan Li

Yeah that makes sense. I saw you said “unreplicated” thus wondered. I am not familiar with how `system_properties` is handled, but just want to point out that it is very difficult if not impossible to change the data model while keeping backward compatibility at the same time.

On Apr 22, 2021, at 11:22 PM, sauverma <saurabhdec1988@...> wrote:

Hi Boxuan Li

We are using RF3.

What I meant is that essentially the data for system_properties is going to a single partition. Due to RF3, this partition is replicated 3 times.

Does this clarify?

Thanks
Saurabh

Re: [Performance Optimization] Optimization around the `system_properties` table interaction

sauverma

Hi Boxuan Li

We are using RF3.

What I meant is that essentially the data for system_properties is going to a single partition. Due to RF3, this partition is replicated 3 times.

Does this clarify?

Thanks
Saurabh

Re: [Performance Optimization] Optimization around the `system_properties` table interaction

Boxuan Li

Hi @sauverma,

I am just curious: I noticed you said "there is only 1 partition for system_properties unreplicated". Do you have storage.cql.replication-factor = 1?

Re: [Performance Optimization] Optimization around the `system_properties` table interaction

sauverma

Hi all

Updates on this issue

- We found that the periodic removal of system_properties (while the ingestion is running) leads to graph corruption (mentioned at high level at https://docs.janusgraph.org/advanced-topics/recovery/)
- The perf issue we saw were due to below reasons
     - improper handling on dataproc scaledown which lead to connections not getting closed to JG, and thus ever increasing system_properties table
     - unbounded access to the scylla caching layer, which is basically unthrottled access to scylla caching system, leading to other queries slowing down due to the system_properties single, hot partition
     - in addition to this, the data model for system_properties still needs to be fixed via usage of clustering keys, by design system_properties has only 1 SINGLE partition and all spark executors hit it while initialization leading to  query slow down -> query queuing -> query timeouts

Thanks

Re: [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Jansen, Jan

What do you think? Sounds great
Would such a deadline be OK? I think it is good idea to have a deadline.

I am good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or 3.5.0 if we expect those releases soon, but I don't want to delay 0.6.0 release too much because the community sometimes asks for the release.
Also, if we release 0.6.0 without TinkerPop 3.5.0 version, I'm good with shipping 0.7.0 version even if that release is just 1 commit difference (TinkerPop upgrade).
As I said, I'm good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or TinkerPop 3.5.0 but I would prefer to set a day till which we should start a releasing process (unless there are critical bugs).
I would propose to set a deadline on the 1st May. If there are no new TinkerPop releases till that day (due to some delays) then we start releasing process on the 1st May as is.
If there are new TinkerPop releases in April then we update JanusGraph to the latest TinkerPop release and start releasing process after that.

What do you think? Would such a deadline be OK?

Best regards,
Oleksandr

[...]

If we wait for TinkerPop 3.5.0 (or 3.4.11), we can probably also release the configurable batch sizes in 0.6.0 which should bring a noticable performance gain if used properly.

Kind regards, Florian

Re: [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Jansen, Jan

Hi

I would be great to release JanusGraph 0.6.0.

I just want to mention that TinkerPop 3.5.0 is planed to be released in April.

We don't release new version in frequent time span, so should we wait to release or not?

Best regards, Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Boxuan Li

Thanks for organizing this, Oleksandr! I would like to have Fix potential ThreadLocal transaction leak released in 0.6.0. If there is no further comment I plan to merge it this weekend.

Graph Reindexing Issue Fix: this PR is actually WIP. If I have some time at the weekend, I'll try to see if I can help fix it.

Best regards,
Boxuan Li

[DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release

Oleksandr Porunov

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a discussion about JanusGraph 0.6.0 release. There were multiple requests from the community about ETA of 0.6.0 release.
I wanted to check if there are any features / bugfixes which we want to include into 0.6.0 release?
Right now we have the next PRs / issues targeted 0.6.0 release:
Reduce configuration options for CFG - will check soon.
Bump bigtable-hbase-2.x-shaded from 1.16.0 to 1.19.0 - this is just a version bump, but I didn't test JanusGraph compatibility with Bigtable.
Add exprimental support for java 11 - This PR adds experimental support for Java 11, but looks like many tests won't work with Java 11. So it's hard to say if JanusGraph will be compatible with Java 11 when used with Hbase for example or different settings. Also, it's hard to say about relation between TinkerPop and JanusGraph regarding this matter. TinkerPop added Java 11 support to 3.5.0 version, but this version isn't released yet. I guess this might influence some TinkerPop tests and functionality, but I didn't check that yet.
Graph Reindexing Issue Fix - this PR is still under review.
Add job to run all TinkerPop tests on schedule - I think this issue isn't hard to be resolved, so I think we can resolve it. Nevertheless it shouldn't block 0.6.0 release anyhow because we run TinkerPop tests before the release.

Are there any other work we need to add to 0.6.0 version?
From my point of view, I think we can release 0.6.0 version after the above issues / PRs are resolved or re-targeted. That said, if I miss something, please, add relevant issues / PRs to the milestone or discuss it in this thread.

Best regards,
Oleksandr Porunov

Re: Multiple vertices generated for the same index value and vertex properties missing with RF3

sauverma

Hi Marc

I've submitted this as a bug https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/2515

Thanks

Re: Multiple vertices generated for the same index value and vertex properties missing with RF3

hadoopmarc@...

81 - 100 of 1596