[DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release


Oleksandr Porunov
 

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a discussion about JanusGraph 0.6.0 release. There were multiple requests from the community about ETA of 0.6.0 release.
I wanted to check if there are any features / bugfixes which we want to include into 0.6.0 release?
Right now we have the next PRs / issues targeted 0.6.0 release:
Reduce configuration options for CFG - will check soon.
Bump bigtable-hbase-2.x-shaded from 1.16.0 to 1.19.0 - this is just a version bump, but I didn't test JanusGraph compatibility with Bigtable.
Add exprimental support for java 11 - This PR adds experimental support for Java 11, but looks like many tests won't work with Java 11. So it's hard to say if JanusGraph will be compatible with Java 11 when used with Hbase for example or different settings. Also, it's hard to say about relation between TinkerPop and JanusGraph regarding this matter. TinkerPop added Java 11 support to 3.5.0 version, but this version isn't released yet. I guess this might influence some TinkerPop tests and functionality, but I didn't check that yet.
Graph Reindexing Issue Fix - this PR is still under review.
Add job to run all TinkerPop tests on schedule - I think this issue isn't hard to be resolved, so I think we can resolve it. Nevertheless it shouldn't block 0.6.0 release anyhow because we run TinkerPop tests before the release.

Are there any other work we need to add to 0.6.0 version?
From my point of view, I think we can release 0.6.0 version after the above issues / PRs are resolved or re-targeted. That said, if I miss something, please, add relevant issues / PRs to the milestone or discuss it in this thread.

Best regards,
Oleksandr Porunov


Boxuan Li
 

Thanks for organizing this, Oleksandr! I would like to have Fix potential ThreadLocal transaction leak released in 0.6.0. If there is no further comment I plan to merge it this weekend.

Graph Reindexing Issue Fix: this PR is actually WIP. If I have some time at the weekend, I'll try to see if I can help fix it.

Best regards,
Boxuan Li


Jan.jansen@...
 

Hi

I would be great to release JanusGraph 0.6.0.

I just want to mention that TinkerPop 3.5.0 is planed to be released in April.

We don't release new version in frequent time span, so should we wait to release or not?

Best regards, Jan


rngcntr
 

If we wait for TinkerPop 3.5.0 (or 3.4.11), we can probably also release the configurable batch sizes in 0.6.0 which should bring a noticable performance gain if used properly.

Kind regards, Florian


Oleksandr Porunov
 

I am good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or 3.5.0 if we expect those releases soon, but I don't want to delay 0.6.0 release too much because the community sometimes asks for the release.
Also, if we release 0.6.0 without TinkerPop 3.5.0 version, I'm good with shipping 0.7.0 version even if that release is just 1 commit difference (TinkerPop upgrade).
As I said, I'm good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or TinkerPop 3.5.0 but I would prefer to set a day till which we should start a releasing process (unless there are critical bugs).
I would propose to set a deadline on the 1st May. If there are no new TinkerPop releases till that day (due to some delays) then we start releasing process on the 1st May as is.
If there are new TinkerPop releases in April then we update JanusGraph to the latest TinkerPop release and start releasing process after that.

What do you think? Would such a deadline be OK?

Best regards,
Oleksandr


Jan.jansen@...
 


What do you think? Sounds great
Would such a deadline be OK? I think it is good idea to have a deadline.


Von: janusgraph-dev@... <janusgraph-dev@...> im Auftrag von Oleksandr Porunov <alexandr.porunov@...>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. März 2021 18:49:50
An: janusgraph-dev@...
Betreff: Re: [janusgraph-dev] [DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.6.0 release
 
I am good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or 3.5.0 if we expect those releases soon, but I don't want to delay 0.6.0 release too much because the community sometimes asks for the release.
Also, if we release 0.6.0 without TinkerPop 3.5.0 version, I'm good with shipping 0.7.0 version even if that release is just 1 commit difference (TinkerPop upgrade).
As I said, I'm good with waiting for TinkerPop 3.4.11 or TinkerPop 3.5.0 but I would prefer to set a day till which we should start a releasing process (unless there are critical bugs).
I would propose to set a deadline on the 1st May. If there are no new TinkerPop releases till that day (due to some delays) then we start releasing process on the 1st May as is.
If there are new TinkerPop releases in April then we update JanusGraph to the latest TinkerPop release and start releasing process after that.

What do you think? Would such a deadline be OK?

Best regards,
Oleksandr


Jan.jansen@...
 


Oleksandr Porunov
 

As Tinkerpop is very close for a release, I'm proposing to delay JanusGraph 0.6.0 release, so that we could ship 0.6.0 release of JanusGraph with either 3.4.11 or 3.5.0 version of Tinkerpop. I assume, if everything goes well, we should be able to release JanusGraph 0.6.0 version in the middle of May.


Oleksandr Porunov
 

TinkerPop was updated to version 3.5.1, so now nothing blocks JanusGraph from 0.6.0 release.
I'm proposing to start release process on August 2 (Monday). There are quite a few features which would be great to ship with 0.6.0 release but we are already holding the release for quite some time.
I believe the outstanding work could be shifted to other releases (0.6.1 / 1.0.0, etc.). Potentially we can merge several PRs this week.


Oleksandr Porunov
 

We will probably need to delay the start of the release to several days because there are some blocking PRs (targeted to 0.6.0 milestone) and I'm not sure we can merge them due to failing EasyCLA. I don't know the way to retrieve signed CLAs for JanusGraph.
Please, refer to the next links:
https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/4/SUPPORT-6184
https://github.com/communitybridge/easycla/issues/3090
https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/milestones/Release%20v0.6.0

As soon as this issues are resolved (or the workaround is found) I will start the release process.
Sorry again for the delay.

Best regards,
Oleksandr 


Oleksandr Porunov
 

The release commit is available for the review here: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/pull/2672

Best regards,
Oleksandr 


Oleksandr Porunov
 

The voting is now opened for 0.6.0 release at this location: https://lists.lfaidata.foundation/g/janusgraph-dev/topic/vote_janusgraph_0_6_0/84815207

Best regards,
Oleksandr