[DISCUSS] TinkerPop version for next JanusGraph release

Jason Plurad <plu...@...>

TinkerPop 3.3.0 is released, TinkerPop 3.2.6 also. JanusGraph master is currently at TinkerPop 3.2.6.

sjudeng has a pull request open for TP 3.3 support, and it is passing Travis CI.

TinkerPop 3.3 is the latest, greatest release. The most notable part of it, as far as dependencies are concerned, is that it brings Spark 2.2 (Scala 2.11) support. This is a big jump forward from Spark 1.6.1 (Scala 2.10) released in March 2016.

Any reason to hold up from moving forward with TP 3.3? Any users in production out there relying on Spark 1.6.1? The 0.1 branch is still open for fixes, so that could be the answer for people that want to stick with the older versions.

I'm +1 for moving to TinkerPop 3.3.

Robert Dale <rob...@...>

+1 for TinkerPop 3.3

Robert Dale

--

Jerry He <jerr...@...>

Are there any other incompatible changes from TinkerPop 3.2.x to 3.3?

Thanks,

Jerry

The upgrade nodes are here http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/3.3.0/upgrade/#_tinkerpop_3_3_0_2

The section on upgrading for database providers is rather slim http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/3.3.0/upgrade/#_upgrading_for_providers

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Robert Dale wrote:
> +1 for TinkerPop 3.3
>
> Robert Dale
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Jason Plurad wrote:
>>
>> TinkerPop 3.3.0 is released, TinkerPop 3.2.6 also. JanusGraph master is
>> currently at TinkerPop 3.2.6.
>>
>> sjudeng has a pull request open for TP 3.3 support, and it is passing
>> Travis CI.
>>
>> TinkerPop 3.3 is the latest, greatest release. The most notable part of
>> it, as far as dependencies are concerned, is that it brings Spark 2.2 (Scala
>> 2.11) support. This is a big jump forward from Spark 1.6.1 (Scala 2.10)
>> released in March 2016.
>>
>> Any reason to hold up from moving forward with TP 3.3? Any users in
>> production out there relying on Spark 1.6.1? The 0.1 branch is still open
>> for fixes, so that could be the answer for people that want to stick with
>> the older versions.
>>
>> I'm +1 for moving to TinkerPop 3.3.
>>
>> --
>

> --

Austin Sharp <austins...@...>

As a user, we don't use Spark but are very excited for the new CQL and ES 5.x backends. I didn't see anything in the TP3.3 release notes that would affect us negatively.

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 9:19:41 AM UTC-7, Jason Plurad wrote:
TinkerPop 3.3.0 is released, TinkerPop 3.2.6 also. JanusGraph master is currently at TinkerPop 3.2.6.

sjudeng has a pull request open for TP 3.3 support, and it is passing Travis CI.

TinkerPop 3.3 is the latest, greatest release. The most notable part of it, as far as dependencies are concerned, is that it brings Spark 2.2 (Scala 2.11) support. This is a big jump forward from Spark 1.6.1 (Scala 2.10) released in March 2016.

Any reason to hold up from moving forward with TP 3.3? Any users in production out there relying on Spark 1.6.1? The 0.1 branch is still open for fixes, so that could be the answer for people that want to stick with the older versions.

I'm +1 for moving to TinkerPop 3.3.

Samik Raychaudhuri <sam...@...>

Definitely looking forward to Spark 2.2 upgrade. I have tried doing that manually and failed.
Thanks.
-Samik

On 29-Aug-17 2:15 AM, Austin Sharp wrote:

[...]

sjudeng <sju...@...>

I think it depends on how soon we want to release 0.2.0. I think we should either release 0.2.0 in the near term with TinkerPop 3.2.6 or merge the update to TinkerPop 3.3.0 and then delay the 0.2.0 release to allow time for community testing. My personal preference is to release 0.2.0 as soon as possible with TinkerPop 3.2.6.

We're benefiting greatly from a large user community that has been willing/forced to do extensive testing/production work off master/0.2.0-SNAPSHOT. Based on the current feedback in lists/issues it appears to me that we're really pretty stable right now and it would be a good time to release (with some merges of minor pending PRs). That is we're no longer seeing issues like "janusgraph.sh isn't starting" or "I can't update my existing Titan DB" (right?). The issues are now mostly more about new features.

If we were to bump to TinkerPop 3.3.0 (and those who follow TinkerPop more closely will correct me if I'm wrong here) I think the changes are non-trivial (certainly not as trivial as going from 3.2.4->3.2.5->3.2.6) and they should be out on master/snapshots for awhile and give everyone a chance to try them out before releasing. I don't know how much time would be necessary, but I'm thinking at least a month given our velocity (the 0.2.x changes have been out for 6 months). I just don't think a stable release is the time for testing.

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 11:19:41 AM UTC-5, Jason Plurad wrote:
TinkerPop 3.3.0 is released, TinkerPop 3.2.6 also. JanusGraph master is currently at TinkerPop 3.2.6.

sjudeng has a pull request open for TP 3.3 support, and it is passing Travis CI.

TinkerPop 3.3 is the latest, greatest release. The most notable part of it, as far as dependencies are concerned, is that it brings Spark 2.2 (Scala 2.11) support. This is a big jump forward from Spark 1.6.1 (Scala 2.10) released in March 2016.

Any reason to hold up from moving forward with TP 3.3? Any users in production out there relying on Spark 1.6.1? The 0.1 branch is still open for fixes, so that could be the answer for people that want to stick with the older versions.

I'm +1 for moving to TinkerPop 3.3.

Robert Dale <rob...@...>

I wouldn't mind a 0.2.x release train based on tinkerpop 3.2.x.  Thus release 0.2.0 with 3.2.6.   But I think there should be a 0.3.x train and a 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT with tinkerpop 3.3.0. I also think let 0.1.x die unless someone really wants to own that.

Then 0.2.x gets bug fixes and non-breaking features/changes.
0.3.x gets 0.2.x changes + breaking features/changes

Robert Dale

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:15 AM, sjudeng <sju...@...> wrote:
[...]

This sounds good to me, especially if we can move toward a very near term 0.2.0 release. After that we can go immediately to TinkerPop 3.3.0 on master and start working towards a 0.3.0 release once we've done more testing and a snapshot release or two have gone out for community evaluation. I'd even be willing to go further and say that after the 0.2.0 release the 0.2.x branch would only need to get bug fixes. Given our state as a development community and the unresolved merge/commit flow question I think we're better positioned at this point to move forward with development just on master.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:15 AM, sjudeng <s...@...> wrote:
[...]

I second the idea to have the current 0.2.0 release with the TinkerPop
3.2.6, for the sake of avoiding too many (incompatible) moving parts.
Then TinkerPop 3.3 in master with a planned JanusGraph 0.3 release
soon after.
But my thinking is not strong and can go either way.

Thanks,

Jerry

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:47 AM, sjudeng <sju...@...> wrote:
[...]

I think we'll still have one more 0.1 release to incorporate the straggling migration issues that came up (PR 445, PR 463).
0.1.x should be the target for Titan migrations because the dependencies are largely the same.
Then once they migrate to JanusGraph, we're only dealing with JanusGraph migration.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:47 AM, sjudeng wrote:
> This sounds good to me, especially if we can move toward a very near term
> 0.2.0 release. After that we can go immediately to TinkerPop 3.3.0 on master
> and start working towards a 0.3.0 release once we've done more testing and a
> snapshot release or two have gone out for community evaluation. I'd even be
> willing to go further and say that after the 0.2.0 release the 0.2.x branch
> would only need to get bug fixes. Given our state as a development community
> and the unresolved merge/commit flow question I think we're better
> positioned at this point to move forward with development just on master.
>
> On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 9:33:02 AM UTC-5, Robert Dale wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't mind a 0.2.x release train based on tinkerpop 3.2.x.  Thus
>> release 0.2.0 with 3.2.6.   But I think there should be a 0.3.x train and a
>> 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT with tinkerpop 3.3.0. I also think let 0.1.x die unless
>> someone really wants to own that.
>>
>> Then 0.2.x gets bug fixes and non-breaking features/changes.
>> 0.3.x gets 0.2.x changes + breaking features/changes
>>

>> Robert Dale
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:15 AM, sjudeng wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it depends on how soon we want to release 0.2.0. I think we
>>> should either release 0.2.0 in the near term with TinkerPop 3.2.6 or merge
>>> the update to TinkerPop 3.3.0 and then delay the 0.2.0 release to allow time
>>> for community testing. My personal preference is to release 0.2.0 as soon as
>>> possible with TinkerPop 3.2.6.
>>>
>>> We're benefiting greatly from a large user community that has been
>>> willing/forced to do extensive testing/production work off
>>> master/0.2.0-SNAPSHOT. Based on the current feedback in lists/issues it
>>> appears to me that we're really pretty stable right now and it would be a
>>> good time to release (with some merges of minor pending PRs). That is we're
>>> no longer seeing issues like "janusgraph.sh isn't starting" or "I can't
>>> update my existing Titan DB" (right?). The issues are now mostly more about
>>> new features.
>>>
>>> If we were to bump to TinkerPop 3.3.0 (and those who follow TinkerPop
>>> more closely will correct me if I'm wrong here) I think the changes are
>>> non-trivial (certainly not as trivial as going from 3.2.4->3.2.5->3.2.6) and
>>> they should be out on master/snapshots for awhile and give everyone a chance
>>> to try them out before releasing. I don't know how much time would be
>>> necessary, but I'm thinking at least a month given our velocity (the 0.2.x
>>> changes have been out for 6 months). I just don't think a stable release is
>>> the time for testing.

>>> --
>>

> --

Keith Lohnes <loh...@...>

I also like the idea of having the current 0.2.0 release with 3.2.6 and putting the 3.3.x release on master with the intent of releasing that as 0.3.x JanusGraph.

-Keith

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM Jerry He <jerr...@...> wrote:
> [...]

>>> appears to me that we're really pretty stable right now and it would be a
>>> good time to release (with some merges of minor pending PRs). That is we're
>>> no longer seeing issues like "janusgraph.sh isn't starting" or "I can't
>>> update my existing Titan DB" (right?). The issues are now mostly more about
>>> new features.
>>>
>>> If we were to bump to TinkerPop 3.3.0 (and those who follow TinkerPop
>>> more closely will correct me if I'm wrong here) I think the changes are
>>> non-trivial (certainly not as trivial as going from 3.2.4->3.2.5->3.2.6) and
>>> they should be out on master/snapshots for awhile and give everyone a chance
>>> to try them out before releasing. I don't know how much time would be
>>> necessary, but I'm thinking at least a month given our velocity (the 0.2.x
>>> changes have been out for 6 months). I just don't think a stable release is

Alexander Patrikalakis <amcpatr...@...>

I also believe we have too many in flight issues of various size. Lets stick with to 3.2.6 for the 0.2.0 release. I also agree with the support mode described above in re content of 0.1.x 0.2.x and 0.3.x

Jason Plurad <plu...@...>

I believe we have a consensus on this.
JanusGraph 0.2.0 will use Apache TinkerPop 3.2.6.

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 2:47:05 PM UTC-4, Alexander Patrikalakis wrote:
I also believe we have too many in flight issues of various size. Lets stick with to 3.2.6 for the 0.2.0 release. I also agree with the support mode described above in re content of 0.1.x 0.2.x and 0.3.x

Gene Fojtik <genef...@...>

Good decision - thanks!