toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Could this be related to delays in indexing? I don't know how to figure out of such exists, but assuming this happens -
how does a traversal behave when looking up based on an index key when the key is not yet indexed?
On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 10:54:32 AM UTC+2 Assaf Schwartz wrote:
I'm experiencing an issues with running JanusGraph (on top of GKE) against BigTable.
This is the general setup description:
- We are using a single node BigTable cluster (for development / integration purposes) with the vanilla 0.5.2 docker.
- Indexing is configured to be done with ES (also running on GKE)
- JanusGraph is configured through environment variables:
- Interaction with JanusGraph are done only through a single gRPC server that is running gremlin-python, let's call it DB-SERVER.
- Last time we've done testing against BT was with version 0.4.1 of JanusGraph, precompiled to support HBase1.
- All of our components communicate via gRPC.
Description of the problem:
- The DB-SERVER creates a Vertex i, generate some XML to represent work to be done, and sends it to another service for processing, let's call in ORCHESTRATOR.
- The ORCHESTRATOR generates two properties, w and r (local identifiers) and sends them back to the DB-SERVER, so they will be set as properties on Vertex i. These two properties are also mixed String indexes.
- After setting the properties, DB-SERVER will ack ORCHESTRATOR, which will start processing. As part of the processing, ORCHESTRATOR will send updates back to the DB-SERVER using w and r.
- On getting these updates DB-SERVER, it will try looking up Vertex i based on w and r, like so:
g.V().has("r", <some_r>).has("w", <some_w>).next()
- At that point, a null / None is returned as the traversal fails to find Vertex i.
- Trying the same traversal in a separate console (python and gremlin) does fetch the vertex. Since it's a single instance cluster, I ruled out any eventual consistency issues.
I'm not sure if it's a regression introduced after 0.4.1.
I've also validated that db-caching is turned off.
Many thanks in advance,