Date

Re: JanusGraph 0.6.0 Binary Driver failing on serialization

hadoopmarc@...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reporting.  I could confirm the exception you got by using the console and server files from the distribution. I got the right results, though,  when I changed the contents of conf/remote-graph-binary.yaml to:

hosts: [localhost]
port: 8182
serializer: { className: org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.driver.ser.GraphBinaryMessageSerializerV1, config: { ioRegistries: [org.janusgraph.graphdb.tinkerpop.JanusGraphIoRegistry], serializeResultToString: true }}

in this way, it matches the configs of gremlin-server in conf/gremlin-server/gremin-server.yaml

I will post a ticket for it.

Best wishes,      Marc

Berkeley JE information

kosulin@...

I found the following information that might be important for those who (myself included) use or plan to use Bekeley JE as embedded storage:

"The current public release of BDB JE is 7.5.11. What you are referring to as 18.3.12 is actually from Oracle NoSQL Database Server. This is a fork of BDB JE and has diverged significantly from the 7.5.11 public version. From time to time, we will release updates to the 7.5.x code line but additional public major releases are not planned at this time. While we have not tested internally, it makes sense to me that the 7.5.11 test suite does not run with 18.3.12 (code line has diverged). We do have plans in CY21 to release a new product that will serve as a replacement for BDB JE. Feel free to reach out to me later this spring and I will hopefully have more details (michael.brey@...)"

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4478434/what-is-the-current-berkeley-db-java-edition-release-is-there-a-public-source-code-repository

I looked inside the Oracle NoSQL Database Server 20.3.18, and it includes je version 20.3.17.

IMHO this is so cumbersome in the usual Oracle way, I start looking for a way to get rid of berkeley in my product.

JanusGraph 0.6.0 Binary Driver failing on serialization

cmilowka

We have fully integrated our backend with JS:0.6 as recommended, including DB connection using new driver: GraphBinaryMessageSerializerV1.

All seams o work as before, except:

GraphTraversal<Vertex, ? extends Property<Object>> p = g.V(12345).properties("myproperty");

if (p.hasNext()) {...}

12:02:47.609 [https-jsse-nio-127.0.0.1-8443-exec-8] ERROR o.a.c.c.C.[.[.[.[dispatcherServlet] [175] - Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatcherServlet] in context with path [] threw exception [Request processing failed; nested exception is java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.driver.exception.ResponseException: Error during serialization: java.lang.IllegalStateException] with root cause

org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.driver.exception.ResponseException: Error during serialization: java.lang.IllegalStateException

at org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.driver.Handler$GremlinResponseHandler.channelRead0(Handler.java:245)

at org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.driver.Handler$GremlinResponseHandler.channelRead0(Handler.java:200)

at io.shaded.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:99)

/.../

Above was, and still is fine on p.hasNext() with previously used GryoMessageSerializerV3d0 driver. Workaround we have is to use:

GraphTraversal<Vertex, ? extends Property<Object>> p = g.V(12345).values("myproperty");

if (p.hasNext()) {...}  // now is ok

Why above is failing, is the question....

Regards, Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping HBase 1 support

hadoopmarc@...

Hi Jan,

When you say "We stopped testing HBase 1 in our CI solution already in branch 0.3" does that mean you are not sure whether HBase1 tests would run on a custom build for 0.4+? If so, the code was already abandoned and dropping it is the only reasonable way to go. Which does not mean such a decision could not be reversed under any circumstances.

Best wishes,   Marc

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping HBase 1 support

Jansen, Jan

Will the support for BigTable persist when dropping HBase 1? With 0.5, JG uses the HBase 2 as client for Bigtable.

Will the support for BigTable persist when dropping HBase 1?

We are working with BigTable, and in the days of 0.4 (or was it 0.4.1), BT didn't work, so we had to compile 0.4.x with HBase 1 support.

Thanks!

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping HBase 1 support

schwartz@...

Will the support for BigTable persist when dropping HBase 1?

We are working with BigTable, and in the days of 0.4 (or was it 0.4.1), BT didn't work, so we had to compile 0.4.x with HBase 1 support.

Thanks!

[DISCUSS] Dropping HBase 1 support

Jansen, Jan

Hi

I looked into the HBase 1 support after Porunov asked why I want to drop if the builds are passing: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/pull/2213#issuecomment-861620348. We stopped testing HBase 1 in our CI solution already in branch 0.3 that we are happening due to a wrong combination of maven flags.

The Apache HBase already released an alpha version of HBase 3 which would make the support for HBase 1 more complex at the same time.

Any thoughts? Is anyone using HBase 1 with a newer version JG (0.5 or 0.6)? Why couldn't you upgrade to HBase 2?

My Idea would be to drop HBase 1 support. (Currently, HBase 1 support already requires a custom build of JG.)

Greetings, Jan

Re: Performance Improvement

Oleksandr Porunov

Hi Vinayak,

0.6.0 version of JanusGraph is released. I posted some quick tips to improve throughput to your CQL storage here:
https://lists.lfaidata.foundation/g/janusgraph-users/message/6148
I also had a post in LinkedIn with links to relative documentation parts and several better suggestions about internal ExecutorServices usage here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/porunov_release-060-janusgraphjanusgraph-activity-6840714301062307840-r6Uw

In 0.6.0 you can improve your CQL throughput drastically using a simple configuration `storage.cql.executor-service.enabled: false` which I definitely recommend to do but you should properly configure throughput related configurations.

Best regards,
Oleksandr

Re: Release vs full release?

Oleksandr Porunov

Hi Laura,

Both these releases have JanusGraph Server (Gremlin Server) included. Thus, in production you should prefer using janusgraph-<version>.zip with your own backend storages installation instead of using janusgraph-full-<version>.zip.

Best regards,
Oleksandr

Re: Too low Performance when running PageRank and WCC on Graph500

Oleksandr Porunov

Hi Shipeng,

I didn't check the graph which you refereed but 0.5.3 JanusGraph has some hard limits with Cassandra backend. I would recommend trying 0.6.0 version.
You might want to add some configurations related to your throughput. Something like:
```
storage.cql.read-consistency-level: ONE
query.batch: true
query.smart-limit: false
# query.fast-property: false or true depending on queries
ids.block-size: 1000000
storage.batch-loading: true
storage.cql.local-max-connections-per-host: 5
storage.cql.max-requests-per-connection: 1024
storage.cql.executor-service.enabled: false
storage.parallel-backend-executor-service.core-pool-size: 100
```

Best regards,
Oleksandr

Re: [ANNOUNCE] JanusGraph 0.6.0 Release

schwartz@...

Nice!! Gonna give this a spin in a few days

Re: [ANNOUNCE] JanusGraph 0.6.0 Release

Oleksandr Porunov

Re: [ANNOUNCE] JanusGraph 0.6.0 Release

Oleksandr Porunov

Jan Jansen is working on upgrading the docker image to 0.6.0 in this PR: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-docker/pull/91
I believe the Docker image should be available soon.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] JanusGraph 0.6.0 Release

schwartz@...

This is great! Was looking forward to this.

Any ETA for the docker image?

Thanks a lot,
Assaf

[ANNOUNCE] JanusGraph 0.6.0 Release

Oleksandr Porunov

The JanusGraph Technical Steering Committee is excited to announce the release of JanusGraph 0.6.0.

JanusGraph is an Apache TinkerPop enabled property graph database with support for a variety of storage and indexing backends. Thank you to all of the contributors.

Notable new features in this release include:
  • Upgrade to TinkerPop 3.5.1
  • Java 11 support
  • Spark 3 support
  • Added mixed index usage for count and has("propertyKey") queries
  • Optimized adjacency checks with unique index
  • Index selection algorithms optimization. Added possibility to configure index selection algorithms.
  • Index repair jobs improvements
  • General index construction optimizations
  • Optimized LevenshteinDistance computation used in Fuzzy predicates
  • Update DataStax Cassandra driver to 4.13.0 version
  • Update Lucene / Solr to 8.9.0
  • Metrics collection improvements
  • Many general optimizations in core
  • GraphBinary serialization format support
  • Added new schema maker and improvement of previous schema makers
  • Added DataStax request logger
  • Replaced GremlinServer with JanusGraphServer
  • Added GRPC server to janusgraph-server for basic schema management
  • Transactions improvements
  • Improved inmemory storage backend
  • Added support for Amazon Managed KeySpace
  • Enhanced profiling
  • Added many new configurations to better control storage and index backends
  • Added configuration to use barrier size as batch size limit
  • Added CacheVertex::refresh method to allow clearing vertex cache
  • Added negations to all text predicates
  • Added exists clause to negated Text predicates
  • Make ExecutorService configurable for parallel backend queries and CQL Store Manager
  • Make CQL executor service usage optional
  • Accept optional custom hadoop config in MapReduceIndexManagement
  • Added multi-query and pre-fetch options to transaction builder
  • Added possibility to configure internal Cassandra driver
The release artifacts can be found at this location:
    https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/tag/v0.6.0

A full binary distribution is provided for user convenience:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/download/v0.6.0/janusgraph-full-0.6.0.zip

A truncated binary distribution is provided:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/download/v0.6.0/janusgraph-0.6.0.zip

The online docs can be found here:
    https://docs.janusgraph.org

To view the resolved issues and commits check the milestone here:
    https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/milestone/17?closed=1

Thank you very much,
Oleksandr Porunov

Re: Removing a vertex is not removing recently added properties in different transaction

hadoopmarc@...

Hi Priyanka,

The case you describe sounds suspect and might be a JanusGraph issue. Your last remark ("If i add some delay b/w two operations then vertices are getting removed correctly.") gives an important clue as to what is going on.

A few additional questions:
  • Do have the JanusGraph database cache disabled? (This is the default setting for JanusGraph-0.5+)?
  • See the tunability section of https://hbase.apache.org/acid-semantics.html. Did you enable any HBase client settings that impact the HBase visibility guarantees (https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#arch.timelineconsistent.reads )? Note that you may have a CLASSPATH that picks up hbase-site.xml configs from your cluster.
If this turns out to be a JanusGraph issue, is it possible for you do the graph operations in a single transaction (workaround)?

Best wishes,   Marc

Re: Confused about GraphSON edges definition

Laura Morales <lauretas@...>

People do not want to put effort in explaining graphSON because that is not the way to go
May I ask why it is not the way to go, and what is the way instead?
I thought my problem was fairly easy: have a graph in a file, load the file. But GraphML is lossy, and GraphSON is not the way to go. What is left other than having to write my own groovy scripts and using the tinkerpop api?

Re: Confused about GraphSON edges definition

hadoopmarc@...

Hi Laura,

https://tinkerpop.apache.org/javadocs/current/full/org/apache/tinkerpop/gremlin/structure/io/graphson/GraphSONReader.html

People do not want to put effort in explaining graphSON because that is not the way to go. As said above, you can just use a TinkerGraph with addV, eddEdge and property() and export the graph to graphSON.

Best wishes,   Marc

Looking for deeper understanding of the systemlog table.

jason.mccarthy@...

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand something better.  I'm curious about the size of the systemlog table for a number of our graphs.  On our backend data store this is the only table which reports having large cells.  On some nodes there is only a few of them, but on other nodes they number in the hundreds (the large cells that is).

I have a few basic questions:
a) what is stored in this table?
b) what kind of maintenance can I safely perform on it from the backend, if any?
c) what might cause these large cells to show up in this table (and what could be done to avoid it)?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Confused about GraphSON edges definition

Laura Morales <lauretas@...>

Hi,
I've asked my question over there (here's the thread https://groups.google.com/g/gremlin-users/c/_H3UZyfdvtE) and the possible solution seems to be to use readVertices() instead of read() or readGraph(). But I'm very confused and I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me make sense of it. I haven't used Gremlin, Groovy, and Janus before, so I'm basically relying on the Janus documentation but I cannot find any examples for this.
How can I load a GraphSON file using readVertices()?

Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2021 at 8:07 AM
From: hadoopmarc@...
To: janusgraph-users@...
Subject: Re: [janusgraph-users] Confused about GraphSON edges definition
Hi Laura,

If you want to know, you would better ask on the TinkerPop users list. Note that graphSON is not designed as a human-readable or standardized interchange format, but rather as interchange format between TinkerPop-compatible processes. If you want to create or modify a graphSON file, it is easier to instantiate a TinkerGraph and use the TinkerPop API.

Best wishes,   Marc

501 - 520 of 6656